Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Joyeux Anniversasire en Francais!

Joyeux Anniversaire en Francais!

I am surprised myself that my last blog entry was on 8 October. It occurs to me that I have been hanging on to a special day and have yet to blog about it: my birthday.
It was 22 Oct. I celebrated the last year I was truly happy and my girlfriends indulged my need to regress a few years. It turned out to be a most wonderful celebration. I was showered with love and appreciation and thoughtfulness. I saw God spread His sunshine and love on me in so many ways. After a less than perfect year, I felt fully loved this day.
Join me as I retreat to Provence, not actually in France, though, yes I know Provence is indeed in France, but on this day, it was a tres bon French restaurant within driving distance.
My girls-those hand picked by God to be my closest of friends, determined to make my day special. While so many friends gave me cards and gifts and showered me with love and lunches this birthday, and I am thankful for them all-each and every one-this blog is about these four special women I call my Steele Magnolias.
We gathered around the kitchen island, trying to come up with a restaurant choice. Five women can not agree on anything spontaneously and concurrently so there was quite a bit of suggestion, pondering, polite rejection of ideas and so forth when I took over research and arrived on a restaurant that was “perfectly Jackie,” as one gal put it.
It included a mysterious name-Anis; traveling-both to Atlanta and to Provence, as it was authentically French; a delightful, unique setting; and upscale menu options prepared by a master culinary chef. And, the setting, so perfectly appointed. It was indeed “perfectly Jackie,” or on this day, “perfectly Jacqueline.”
We drove in one car and laughed our dainty little heads off all the way up to the big city, reminiscing about lunches past, offering witty remarks, and throwing ever so gentle digs about my age this birthday versus my true age. I am not yet even over the hill (which, I am assuming is 50), but a Southern gal is very sensitive about such things. I am adopting my 80-year-old mother’s philosophy. She would say, I am not such and such an age, only my birth certificate is. Touché, mother.
The restaurant was a perfect choice. It was so very provincial. Anis had two dining options, an outdoor garden seating, which we chose and an indoor seating, which caught our eye later. I know we selected the right table because when we sat down, my friend gasped and pointed over my shoulder look behind you! And there on the garden fence was a rustic, metal art form of a ladybug-which holds very special symbolism for me. God has always offered me a ladybug in times when I needed heavenly confirmation. Today, I saw it as a heavenly wink, a birthday wish by divine appointment.
What transpired in during my birthday lunch was definitely divine. It was as if we had indeed travelled to France in honor of my birthday. The food was tres, tres bon. I was enjoying a full bowl of mussels in wine sauce, which immediately reminded me of the time I ate them in Marseille, France. Ooh, La, La! They were delicious and so different than what I would normally eat for lunch. Everyone ordered a delightful lunch including scrumptious salads and mushroom ravioli with cream sauce.
From our line of sight, we could peer into the indoor seating area where the tables were perfectly lined against the wall and perfectly appointed with white linen table cloths. On the wall was a perfect collection of interesting art as if it were an art gallery. The ambiance was romantic and interesting and stirring all at once. I loved this venue. Of course, we each had to take our leave to the powder room just to walk through the dining area. I was so inspired by this picture perfect setting; I stopped to take photos of the art on the wall in an area that was not populated.
Lunch, of course, included wonderful dessert to be shared, presented courtesy of the restaurant. There was a variety of melon sorbet and chocolate decadence, artfully styled. It was pleasing to the eye and the palette, and, to me, so much better than a birthday cake,
All throughout the meal, there were sounds of businessmen laughing over their lunchtime meal and streams of authentic thick French conversation. It was such a treat to transport us all as we dreamed of future travels together. Then, simply to put an exclamation point on a wonderful celebration, three Frenchmen came to personally wish me a Happy Birthday-Joyeux Anniversaire.
God knew every wish of my heart and attended to them all-I was in need of a great birthday celebration, to experience joy for a day, He saw my desire for good food, good fun, good friends, and He knows my ever-constant yearning to travel.
It was all so delightful as I experienced each moment and figuratively unwrapped each birthday gift sent from Him.
My girls showered me with gifts so perfectly selected. I don’t think I’ve ever been given more thoughtful gifts, full of so much love and joy. One friend gave me a beautiful embroidered and monogrammed writing notepad. I am quickly filling it up already. And a beautiful glass night light in the shape of a cross. Another gave a so many gifts leading up to my birthday-all of them inspirational and life impacting-and a beautiful crystal ladybug necklace in a ladybug case. It brought tears to my eyes. A tiny gold cross dangled delicately from the chain. Combined with the art form on the fence, it was a perfect symbol of God winking at me, confirming my birthday celebration and the path I am on.
The gifts continued: a travel magazine to inspire me, writing books to encourage me-an entire library of writing resources. And, the most touching: a silver and a gold bangle bracelet just because this dear friend wanted me to know God thinks I am deserving of it all, of both silver and gold. The gift was so much more than precious metals or glittery bangles to show off; the gift was full of love and helped me believe in myself and to fully feel the love God has to offer me. They were so much more than a generous gift; they were a gift of the heart. I treasure the gesture.
The love that flowed from that table and from the hearts of my God-appointed friends filled my heart and overwhelmed me with joy, and, okay, tears. Where there are girls, there are tears-but on this day, tears of joy. Through them, I am inspired, encouraged, loved, and ever aware of God’s love and all that He blesses me with.
As a souvenir, I retrieve a star of anis from the dessert plate. It is the restaurant’s signature spice to accentuate their namesake. Ironically, it is also a member of the magnolia family. It is another symbol of my steel magnolias. It is also a reminder of the perfect surprises God always has in store for me and the wonderful birthday celebration He laid out on my behalf in all its splendor.
What a beautiful celebration indeed.
Au revoir, Provence. C’est tres, tres bon!
Merci beaucoup, Anis!

http://www.anisbistro.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment