Monday, July 12, 2010

Steel Magnolias

Well, Suga', pull up a chair. Glass of sweet tea? I've got a pot of hot tea brewing, if you'd like.
Southern gals are right there with me, already seated at a perfectly appointed table, waiting for the ensuing conversation. If you don't know what I mean, join me for a spell and I'll share with you some inside perspective on the joys of being a Steel Magnolia.

Steel Magnolia(s) is the title of the 1989 Blockbuster movie starring Julia Roberts.
Coincidentally, I played the same lead role (Shelby), in community theatre overseas while living in a military community as a military spouse. I won the European equivalent of a Tony for leading actress in a community play. This brought me as close to fulfilling my dream of becoming an actress and playing on Broadway as I would come which, in spite of being accepted to American Academy of Dramatic Arts in NYC, (1985), was never realized. Just enough recognition to leave stars in my eyes. And, a dream of living in NYC one day.

I am a Southern girl true and true. I was born in South Florida, which due to all the permanent resident snow birds, isn't truly considered a southern state by true southerners, in spite of its southern most location.

My daddy was from Charleston, South Carolina, and that, however, makes me a true Southerner. That, the fact I love grits and sweet tea and can hostess a gathering to rival any bed and breakfast, deems me quite the southerner. Plus, I have lived or vacationed for extended stays in every southern state-Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. And, have been influenced by the history and culture of Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas by way of my sister who has lived in these states for two decades. I am a true southern girl who can whip up a batch of biscuits, cook collards, and throw down a full meal for a crowd. It brings me pleasure. I am ever grateful God placed me in the south and gifted me with a few cooking skills. I love to eat. I love the gathering of family and friends. And, I love to hostess. He knows the delights of my heart!

The definition of a Steel Magnolia brings to mind the full and fragrant, yet delicate blossoms of the ever-towering magnolia tree, so prevalent in the south. Defined as a southern woman who is strong, independent, and yet very feminine Steel Magnolias, as southern women are oft referred, have an inner strength, a steely character, a determined and gritty persistence and a delicate, radiant sophistication; a touch of God's grace. They are resourceful, prepared, willing, service-oriented, and ever ready with a shoulder to lean on and a glass of sweet tea, or at least a tasty crumb of something delicious.

You've seen the email circulating where life takes all sorts of girl friends for all sorts of life events.
Steel Magnolias are that kind of girl friend. Because they have heart. They have soul. They know and love God and can show you love and kindness as a result.

In a season of desert, I cried to the Lord. I prayed for Godly women to come into my life. I prayed for Godly friends. God delighted to answer my prayer. In response, He showered me with lots and lots of beautiful, Godly friendships. As a result, I am blessed with circles of new friends. Strength for the road of life ahead. And, a very special group of women we call Steel Magnolias. We meet at every chance. There's always ice tea or hot tea, a delicious morsel and especially a shoulder to share. We've made a pact for lifelong friendship. Together, life can not defeat us. Together, we will survive the storms ahead. Together, we can love our families, live our lives, and worship our wonderful God together. We have shared beliefs and values and God has perfectly appointed our group with common stories where we can learn and grow.
I can't wait to share more about my group of Steel Magnolias with you.

While you are brewing your next pot of tea, why don't you ponder your group of Godly friends? Do you have a group of Steel Magnolias to grow with? Make a list of your closest friends.

Reflect on the bible verses in Proverbs 4. There is good wisdom about guarding your heart and your relationships. The Bible teaches us to guard our hearts in every relationship so that nothing separates us from God. Reflect upon your relationships.

Then pray a special prayer to our loving Father and ask Him to grow your own group of Steel Magnolias. Your life with flourish and blossom just like the delicate blooms of the sturdy southern tree.

You will be abundantly blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray! Proverbs 4!!!! You are my STEEL magnolia, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearls aren't just found in the ocean!
    Praise Him and love your sisters.
    God Bless Jackie
    YSIC, Jen

    ReplyDelete