Friday, October 1, 2010

What brings you joy?

What brings you joy?

I love to meditate on the part of God’s word that says: “Joy comes in the morning.” Psalm 30.

It’s a gift I enjoy anticipating.

What brings you joy? Today, the though was tapping at me persistently as I was trying to get through the morning pain of my swollen knees from a recent trauma.
The thoughts kept fleeing through my mind.

Grocery shopping. I know, but I love it. I love the thrill of making wise choices and delighting in the plethora of foods available to us. I especially joy in a trip to Costco with promises of surprises on every aisle. I see the plump blackberries in the extra large carton, which promises me more than two or three berries before the kids raid them. I love the thought of an entire crate of crisp, juicy Asian pears. I smile knowing every time I open the refrigerator those little mozzarella balls, sold in a large container packed in water will still be bobbing around by the week’s end, calling for some fresh basil, tomato and balsamic vinegar.
Oh, and how I joy in going to the DeKalb farmer’s market. The variety of foods, the smells, the people, the goods from around the globe speak volumes about our world. I love discovering new fruits with my 10 year old in tow. We make a list and head home where she goggles each new discovery and we anticipate trying one on our next trip.
Additionally, trips to these stores means our dinner and lunch menus will be delightful: stuffed Jerusalem artichokes, butternut squash lasagna, lemon pesto chicken, fresh figs and stilton bleu cheese. Oh, good food, good eating, these things bring me joy.

With a large family of five kids and a large house to fit them and the belongings, my days are full of household chores. Most days I do feel like Cinderella; oh how I wish there was time to go to the ball! But, there is joy on the rare days I open the laundry room and everyone’s laundry is washed, folded and put away. There is joy when the carpets are clean from all the living that goes on here. It sort of punctuates that I am keeping up with the keeping up. There’s nothing like a sparkling bathroom and fresh sheets after a shower to bring me joy and the best night’s rest of the week.
When things are orderly, like my daughter’s room, which is just off the kitchen on the main floor, and the kitchen, which is always calling for a short order cook and a dishwasher, I can feel at rest for but a few simple moments. I can reflect on Joy that comes with calm.

I can anticipate actually having 30 minutes of free space that doesn’t come as a result of exhaustion, but as a result of peace and order. I can allow myself to feel the joy that the Lord has in store for me everyday, but that I’m too busy washing away with my Clorox bottle.


What brings us joy? Moments with our kids. A nice meal shared with our family. The end of a day well spent. A clean house, which means no further demands upon us. These things certainly add to our joy.
And, how do we increase our joy? Probably simply this: take time to reflect on our joy. Acknowledge the joy that is in our life. Ask God for more. Ask God to remove the clutter, so we can receive the joy He has in store for us.
Today, I am looking for more joy. And, I better hurry, the laundry hampers are empty, the carpets have been steam cleaned, we had a great meal of London Broil au jus and asparagus and I know by noon, it will all be creeping up upon me again.
It must be time for a trip to DeKalb.

Joy in your day! Joy in your life! Joy in our Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Let me pull up a chair and enjoy that caprese salad with you. Yes, yes to those joys, my friend. God presents opportunities for joy in such unlikely places sometimes.

    ReplyDelete